Skip to main content

Homemade Bread- First Time


MashaAllah I am so excited about my first time making bread! I read this easy beginners  recipe on how to make your own bread a couple days ago.

Needless to say I have been waiting for the perfect time to make the bread. Bread making is a 3 hour process and because I did this from scratch without a bread maker, I waited until 1 a.m. to make bread ...the first night I over slept and the second night I was determined to make the bread for my family.

It was such a peaceful experience as the children slept, my husband kept me company as I made the bread and we had a nice time. I will be making bread more often inshaAllah in the late night, it was calm and felt so good to do this.


I dhikr as I made the bread, before starting I ask Allah to guide my hands and as I stirred in the ingredients I said  Alhamdulilah and SubhanAllah :)





rep Time: 3 hours
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, 45 minutes

Ingredients:
3/4 cup warm water
1 package active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1-1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp vegetable shortening
1/2 cup milk
3 cups all-purpose flour, approximately

Preparation:
In large bowl, add the warm water. Slowly stir in dry yeast. Continue to stir until yeast is dissolved.
Add salt, sugar, shortening, and milk to bowl. Stir.
Mix in the first 2 cups of flour.
If needed, begin adding more flour, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough chases the spoon around the bowl.
You do not need to use up all the flour called for in this recipe, or you may need more flour than called for. The amounts vary depending on many factors, including weather, which is why most bread recipes only give an approximate amount of flour needed.
Turn dough out onto floured board and knead, adding small spoonfuls of flour as needed, until the dough is soft and smooth, not sticky to the touch.
Put dough in buttered bowl, turn dough over so that the top of dough is greased. Cover and let rise in warm spot for 1 hour.
Punch down dough. Turn out onto floured board and knead.
Preheat oven at 375 degrees F.
Form dough into loaf and set in buttered bread pan. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes.
Score dough by cutting three slashes across the top with a sharp knife. Put in oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Turn out bread and let cool on a rack or clean dishtowel.

I thought about Saiyda Asma radiAllahu anha in the following hadith:

"“Al-Zubayr married me, and he had no wealth, no slaves, nothing except his horse. I used to feed his horse, looking after it and exercising it. I crushed date-stones to feed his camel. I used to bring water and repair the bucket, and I used to make bread but I could not bake it, so some of my Ansari neighbors, who were kind women, used to bake it for me."


Enjoy!!










Comments

  1. WOW!!! What a beautiful loaf of bread!!!! Looks very YUMMY!!! I am going to be making bread today to go with some chicken soup that I will be making. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! How often do you make bread that you do not have to buy it at the store? What kind of flour are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assalaam alayki, ukhtii. Jazaakillaahu khayran for the recipe and most importantly for the athar of Asma at the end. I do bake bread for my family but sometimes get lazy and just buy from the store but now this athar has given me the much needed motivation :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let's keep it positive, what's on your mind?

Popular posts from this blog

The Passing Of A Prince

One month later...  If you would have told me, that I would be eventually blogging as a widow, I would have probably said that I couldn't imagine it!

Well here I am, writing as a widow. My husband (may Allah have mercy on him, and grant him jannah ameen ameen) passed away last month, December 20th, 2016, from complications from his condition.  My whole life changed and I am learning to heal and process this tremendous loss with our six children.

I met my husband in 2006 mashaAllah, and as I like to tell people, I started this adventure 10 yrs ago when I met a Prince from Kings County (Brooklyn NYC) married him, and became his princess alhamdulilah. When we first met, I felt like "wow this handsome guy, I cant believe he is even giving me the time of day." Lord knows I am thankful for all the time of our days, our road trips, and adventures.

I think of an old status message I shared on facebook
" I've dedicated ten years of my heart to this loveable adventurous g…

As salamu alaykum To The Struggling Wife

As salamu alaykum to The Struggling wife....





You are the heart of the home. You are his support, his cheerleader, and he needs you to be by his side. Do you know how important you are to him and to your home?

You are worth more than you know. It may not be said often, but without you... Life would be a little more difficult.

I know you're struggling right now to be a better wife and I know you want to do better. Don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Keep asking Allah to guide you in becoming a better wife. Realize that you have a lot of worth and your husband knows it, he married you, he knew you were the woman who could make his life better.

Write down what you can do to make your marriage better and focus on that daily. He put you with this man, that you love, that you decided to marry. You made a commitment, and you said "I am his committed helper." so keep going! Yes it's not always easy, sometimes you want to leave... But you are a strong, praying woman. …

Remember Who Your Husband Is

On the eve of our 9th year anniversary, I'm doing a lot of reflecting. I saw a blog post entitled "Remember Who Your Husband Is." and the title stood out to me but in a different way so I decided to write my own post. I'm reflecting on nine years of marriage and who my husband is.

So who is he?

Lets remember ..

He is a gift from Allah.

Allah blessed me with him and it is my great honor to take care of my gift.
He is not to be abused, mistreated, and taken for granted. Allah has put us together and  for that I'm thankful Alhamdulilah. I'm here to assist him in the best way possible. Allah did not burden me with him, He did not curse me, but what He did do is bless me Alhamdulilah! When you know you are blessed you show gratitude!

He is the leader of our home.

Not only did Allah send me this gift. He also put me under his leadership. In remembering who he is, we must remember and respect his position of leadership. We should always pray that Allah is constantl…