Skip to main content

Gathering At The Maidah- Family Dinners



In one hadith of the Prophet (SAW), some of his companions complained that they ate but were not satisfied. The Prophet (S) said, "Perhaps you eat separately." They said, "Yes." He said, "If you gather together and mention Allah's name, you will be blessed in it." (Abu Dawud) 


Alhamdulilah it has always been sunnah to eat together as a family, friends, and community. Growing up I was not raised in a Muslim home, but my mother made it a tradition to eat together and have big meals on Sunday. MashaAllah I have always had that mentality growing up about the importance of bonding and being together at the dinner table. I think nowadays with microwave meals and hungryman dinners, people are not eating together as much anymore. It's truly sad, as children are growing up not experiencing real home cooked meals and family dinners.


Do you have dinners as a family or do your family members get their plate and eat in their rooms? How can you create a since of closeness when their is distance?


The most beloved dish according to Allah is that which most hands feed from.” (Ibn Hibban, Hasan


The benefits of eating together:




  1. Family bonding and closeness- we can ask our children about their day and how they are feeling. Showing that we care about what is happening in their life.  This is also creates a better relationship with parents
  2. Wonderful memories- I loved sitting with my brothers and sisters at the dinner table and being with the ones I love. Especially if I have not seen them all day, we are eager to catch up. Children will pass on these wonderful traditions in their own family.
  3. Diversity- We can began to share different meals and talk about where foods originate, have themes in your home and it's a great way to teach a lesson
  4. Islamic eating habits- We are teaching our children a beautiful sunnah and also how toeat and manners of eating in Islam
MashaAllah so many benefits in eating together. Cooking with love and dhikr makes our dishes much more blessed and then sharing it together is a blessing in itself and beautiful experience! 


Also getting children to help in the kitchen with cooking and cleaning is important. Children are more inclined to eat food they helped to make and also they learn how to cook. We are teaching responsibility as children learn the importance of keeping a clean kitchen and seeing how much love and effort it takes to get meals made and keeping a kitchen clean
Strive to make time to eat together and you will be surprised at how wonderful a feeling it is!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Passing Of A Prince

One month later...  If you would have told me, that I would be eventually blogging as a widow, I would have probably said that I couldn't imagine it!

Well here I am, writing as a widow. My husband (may Allah have mercy on him, and grant him jannah ameen ameen) passed away last month, December 20th, 2016, from complications from his condition.  My whole life changed and I am learning to heal and process this tremendous loss with our six children.

I met my husband in 2006 mashaAllah, and as I like to tell people, I started this adventure 10 yrs ago when I met a Prince from Kings County (Brooklyn NYC) married him, and became his princess alhamdulilah. When we first met, I felt like "wow this handsome guy, I cant believe he is even giving me the time of day." Lord knows I am thankful for all the time of our days, our road trips, and adventures.

I think of an old status message I shared on facebook
" I've dedicated ten years of my heart to this loveable adventurous g…

5 Ways To Love Your Husband MORE

I had to blow the dust off the blog tonight, as I only write when I am feeling inspired. SubhanAllah, tonight feels like a good night to share a few thoughts on the blog.
How can you, love your husband more?


1.) Speak words that will uplift his spirit. I remember when I would be feeling nervous, and anxious about some event, and my husband (may Allah have mercy on him, ameen) would say encouraging words, that made me feel like the most confident woman in the world. We have the ability to be that voice of encouragement in our mates lives. What mountains we cannot move, when our spouse speaks life into our being! Through out the day, speak to your mate in a way that will help them be better. 
2.) Put your love into action: Yes you can say "I love you" all day long, but adding to that by doing loving gestures, show and prove what we feel inside. Surprising our spouse by writing a love note, or sending a loving text, adds a little more joy to their days. In a world where there …

As salamu alaykum To The Struggling Wife

As salamu alaykum to The Struggling wife....





You are the heart of the home. You are his support, his cheerleader, and he needs you to be by his side. Do you know how important you are to him and to your home?

You are worth more than you know. It may not be said often, but without you... Life would be a little more difficult.

I know you're struggling right now to be a better wife and I know you want to do better. Don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Keep asking Allah to guide you in becoming a better wife. Realize that you have a lot of worth and your husband knows it, he married you, he knew you were the woman who could make his life better.

Write down what you can do to make your marriage better and focus on that daily. He put you with this man, that you love, that you decided to marry. You made a commitment, and you said "I am his committed helper." so keep going! Yes it's not always easy, sometimes you want to leave... But you are a strong, praying woman. …