Homemade Bread- First Time


MashaAllah I am so excited about my first time making bread! I read this easy beginners  recipe on how to make your own bread a couple days ago.

Needless to say I have been waiting for the perfect time to make the bread. Bread making is a 3 hour process and because I did this from scratch without a bread maker, I waited until 1 a.m. to make bread ...the first night I over slept and the second night I was determined to make the bread for my family.

It was such a peaceful experience as the children slept, my husband kept me company as I made the bread and we had a nice time. I will be making bread more often inshaAllah in the late night, it was calm and felt so good to do this.


I dhikr as I made the bread, before starting I ask Allah to guide my hands and as I stirred in the ingredients I said  Alhamdulilah and SubhanAllah :)





rep Time: 3 hours
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, 45 minutes

Ingredients:
3/4 cup warm water
1 package active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1-1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp vegetable shortening
1/2 cup milk
3 cups all-purpose flour, approximately

Preparation:
In large bowl, add the warm water. Slowly stir in dry yeast. Continue to stir until yeast is dissolved.
Add salt, sugar, shortening, and milk to bowl. Stir.
Mix in the first 2 cups of flour.
If needed, begin adding more flour, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough chases the spoon around the bowl.
You do not need to use up all the flour called for in this recipe, or you may need more flour than called for. The amounts vary depending on many factors, including weather, which is why most bread recipes only give an approximate amount of flour needed.
Turn dough out onto floured board and knead, adding small spoonfuls of flour as needed, until the dough is soft and smooth, not sticky to the touch.
Put dough in buttered bowl, turn dough over so that the top of dough is greased. Cover and let rise in warm spot for 1 hour.
Punch down dough. Turn out onto floured board and knead.
Preheat oven at 375 degrees F.
Form dough into loaf and set in buttered bread pan. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes.
Score dough by cutting three slashes across the top with a sharp knife. Put in oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Turn out bread and let cool on a rack or clean dishtowel.

I thought about Saiyda Asma radiAllahu anha in the following hadith:

"“Al-Zubayr married me, and he had no wealth, no slaves, nothing except his horse. I used to feed his horse, looking after it and exercising it. I crushed date-stones to feed his camel. I used to bring water and repair the bucket, and I used to make bread but I could not bake it, so some of my Ansari neighbors, who were kind women, used to bake it for me."


Enjoy!!










Comments

  1. WOW!!! What a beautiful loaf of bread!!!! Looks very YUMMY!!! I am going to be making bread today to go with some chicken soup that I will be making. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! How often do you make bread that you do not have to buy it at the store? What kind of flour are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assalaam alayki, ukhtii. Jazaakillaahu khayran for the recipe and most importantly for the athar of Asma at the end. I do bake bread for my family but sometimes get lazy and just buy from the store but now this athar has given me the much needed motivation :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let's keep it positive, what's on your mind?

Popular Posts